The Film Concussion with Carlsen and Boruff » Podcast Episodes


Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pop Culture

Today was a good day. It started with me giving Sleepy Sun's new album Fever.

But a strange thing happened at work today. Last night I got an e-mail from my boss about a meeting regarding the marketing strategy of this web series we've been working on. The e-mail was addressed to two other co-workers. My boss walks in and says that three of us are the best options the company has about pop culture. Here's the thing. I have no idea what gave him that impression about me. I would lying if I said I don't know ANYTHING about pop culture, but to call myself an expert in any way would be shocking. But nonetheless the meeting went on and my ideas were heard and discussed.

I guess I bring this up is because I find it strange when people give me credit for something that I had no idea I deserved credit for. I mean sure, I'm hip to things but only because other people had turned me on to such things. I don't think trends are in any way mysterious, they just have a funny speed to which they are revealed to people. Some are quick to the take, others have to play catch up, and the rest just ignore it. This statement is relative to the persons taste and the longevity of said trend.

Anyway, the point is I have no idea what pop culture even is. I'm sometimes inclined to think that it doesn't actually exist, but I'm more likely to believe that it is forced on us in some way. Take Lady Gaga (please). It seemed like within a few months she was an unstoppable phenomenon. Or Justin fucking Bieber. Seriously, where did that kid come from? One day he's nowhere and the next he's everywhere.

Too busy today to go much further. Tune in tomorrow where I will no doubt have an angry comment on watching Inside Job in regards to that Wisconsin governor.


Save your brain.

Command Image: Boss Command





No comments:

Post a Comment