The Film Concussion with Carlsen and Boruff » Podcast Episodes


Thursday, March 31, 2011

Web Video Sandwich: Legends of June

Greetings all! I hope you're hungry for one heavy sandwich today. Again, sorry for those of you who wait with baited breath for me or Richard to post something, but when you think about it....shouldn't you be doing something more productive anyway?

Time for updates: I've decided to enter Script Frenzy for the month of April. The idea is that you spend the month of April to write a 100 page script. There's no prizes or anything, but it will force me to write. I can never work without a deadline. In fact, that's when I do my best work. Plus there's plenty of people who are participating in it so it will be a good chance for me to meet other writers. Even if they are amateurs like myself; the more I'm around it, the better my work will come out. That's been true for me even back in the ol' college days, my best work is always a reflection of those around me working as well. I'll keep you posted with that. Here's the link to Script Frenzy

For those of you on Facebook and happen to my friend on Facebook, I started doing that 30 Day Song Challenge. I won't waste my time with the rules but I'm having fun. Probably because many of my other friends decided to join with me on that game. My favorite way of interacting with my buddies is sitting around pontificating about each others' taste in music/movies/politics whathaveyou. What else if Facebook good for.

And speaking of blowhards: Boruff and I recorded the upcoming Film Concussion Podcast and it's a doozey of an episode. Stay tuned for more information on that.




Today's post will be a reflection of my childlike excitement for the upcoming month of June. I'll have THREE amazing shows in the NYC area and wouldn't ya know it, they sandwich themselves quite nicely. If you ever seen any of these bands listed or just a huge fan, then this explanation will be redundant to you. But for those who have not seen the light, allow me to give you some idea of what is going to be involved.

Let's do this in chronological order:

Starting with the Melvins. Recently, they announced two shows in Brooklyn. June 6th, they'll be playing the albums Lysol, Eggnog, and Houdini and then the very next day on June 7th, they'll be playing Bullhead and Stoner Witch. I decided to go to the first night. Partially because I'm barely familiar with Bullhead or Stoner Witch but mainly because Lysol and Houdini are two out of my three favorite Melvins albums. The last time I saw the Melvins was my first time seeing them back in 2009 during the 25th Anniversary of Houdini. So this will be a fine sequel.

I consider Lysol to be their best album. And by *best*, I mean it's the album that sets this band apart from other bands. It separates classics from legendary. You really need to hear the album all the way through. If you haven't, do so. Turn off the lights. Before you realize 7 minutes of your life has just been squeezed out of you by the crushing, slow and heavy riff of King Buzzo, the song gets new life by the head-smashing rhythm of Dale Crovers toms. And he hits those fucking things hard.

By the time Hung Bunny turns into Roman Bird Dog, it will be worth the trip. The whole album flows like this. Fantastic. I hope I feel it in my guts. I'm sure I will.

So for the video segment, here's an old video of a Melvins show back in 1992 with the mighty Joe Preston on bass. Fuck yeah!


Melvins - Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog from 1992




Earth is finally coming back to NYC. I've been waiting over a year to see this band ever since they opened for Sunn O))). This band is the roadmap I've used to find my way to this evolutionary step of my musical taste ever since I heard the first chord progression on Pentastar: In the Style of Demons album. Earth has been talked about on this blog before, but for the laymen out there, they are the drone kings. But, in reality, there's only one king. Dylan Carlson uses harmony in his distortion in ways that trap reality and enhance it that is rivaled by very few in the music world. Sometimes beautiful, some times scary, and always awesome.

Although I do long for those halcyon days of Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions and Pentastar when he was using that distortion pedal with a lot more reverb in the 90's, Earth has changed gears for the new millennium. And they don't show any signs of looking back. Which is good for them. They're more simple, direct and specific. But to the laymen, infinitely more tedious unless you're in to this sort of thing. Which, without a doubt, I am.

It's nice that this show is in between the sandwich because my neck will surely need a rest after the Melvins snap it off. Plus I like shows that are heavy and uber-introspective at the same time because it's rare these days. Earth is one of those bands on my "like to see before I die" list. Barring any unforeseen emergencies, I will shortly be able to cross it off my list.

This video is Earth playing one of their early songs, but updated with their new sensibilities and identity. The trombone is a nice touch too.


Earth - Ouroboros is Broken live




SLEEP
. Gods of our time. Legendary riffers of the Weedian realm. What can honestly be said. I caught both shows last fall. If they'd have played a third, I'd have gone for that one. Amazing show. So much to my surprise when I found that they are returning again. Once again with Neurosis drummer Jason Roeder. Too great. I know a good deal of the readers here made it on their last tour. You can now be jealous of the return of the return of the marijuananaut.

This video will brings those who saw back to that moment when the first riff of Dopesmoker drops (y'all know what I mean), and to those who did not, this will make them wish they had.

SLEEP!!!



Sleep intro



So there you have it. Three legendary bands. One great month. I love living in NYC for this. All I'd need is Neurosis to play in June (ha!) and I'd be set and probably wouldn't wake up from the coma. Enjoy and envy me!


Command Image: Concert Command!

No comments:

Post a Comment